Preschool Instructor (ECE or ECE Assistant)
playArts Preschool is looking for a full-time Early Childhood Educator (ECE) or an ECE Assistant. Located in the North Peace Cultural Centre, playArts Preschool is the only Fine Arts Preschool in the Fort St. John area and provides children, ages 3 to 5, with abundant opportunities to experience new things through language, literature, creative movement, science, cooking, music and art.
The Preschool Instructor will be responsible for working cooperatively and collaboratively with the other instructor(s) in program planning, including the monthly calendar/newsletter and daily activities that need to be implemented.
The Preschool Instructor is expected to work as an effective team member demonstrating good communication, reliability, and respect for others in the workplace and beyond.
Reporting and financial controls will be determined by the Employer.
Principal Areas of Responsibility Include:
- The playArts Preschool Instructor provides all necessary time, labour, and expertise required to perform duties associated with the planning, coordination and instruction of the playArts preschool program.
- Provide a variety of materials, activities and resources for children to explore, create and use both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Teach basic skills such as color, shape, number and letter recognition, personal hygiene, eating habits and social skills.
- Establish and enforce rules for behaviour, and procedures for maintaining order.
- Read books to entire class or to small groups.
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental and social development such as: games, arts and crafts, music, storytelling and field trips.
- Identify children showing signs of emotional, developmental, or health-related problems, and discuss them with other instructor(s), parents or guardians, and child development specialists.
- Meet with parents and guardians to discuss their children’s progress and needs, share playArts priorities for their children, and suggest ways they can promote learning and development outside of playArts.
- Enforce all administration policies and rules governing students.
- Perform job-related tasks as designated by his/her supervisor, including submission of required reports and information and attendance at staff meetings and in-service training.
- Ensure the confidentiality of student’s information in all communications.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Serve snacks in accordance with Canadian nutritional food safe standards and guidelines when necessary.
- Assimilate arriving children to the school environment by greeting them, helping them remove outerwear, and selecting activities of interest to them.
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students’ varying needs and interests.
- Arrange indoor space to facilitate creative play, motor-skill activities and safety.
- Guide students through class projects, field trips, visits by guests or other experiential activities.
- Collaborate with other teachers and administrators in the development, evaluation, and revision of preschool programs.
- Meet with other professionals to discuss individual students’ needs and progress.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guests, or other experiential activities and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Select, store, order, issue and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Provide students with special needs with assistive devices, supportive technology, and assistance accessing facilities such as restrooms.
- Prepare and implement remedial programs for students requiring extra help.
- First Aid
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) Certificate or ECE Assistant Certificate
Must complete and pass a Criminal Record Check before starting work.
This position is full-time Monday –Friday and pays $18.77 per hour as per our collective agreement. A comprehensive benefits plan is available after a three month probationary period.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com , contact us at 250-785-1992 or drop by the Box Office at the Centre Monday-Friday 9am – 5pm.